In this Puppet Practitioner training you will learn why you should manage your Puppet infrastructure the right way. You will design, build, extend modules.
Camptocamp: #1 Puppet expert since 2007! – Puppet Practitioner
- Active user and contributor of Puppet since 2007 : discover Camptocamp’s published Puppet modules here on GitHub;
- In addition, our Puppet Practitioner training team holds the Puppet Professional certification, which allows us to give the whole set of Puppet Labs’ training courses, and prepare the students for the certification program;
- Several IT teams have already been trained by Camptocamp, in particular among private companies (finance, IT, telecommunications…), world-renowned research centers and public administrations.
Puppet Practitioner training: dates and locations
- 18th to 20th December 2018 in Lausanne or Olten
- 12th to 14th March 2019 in Lausanne or Olten
- 11th to 13th June 2019 in Lausanne or Olten
- Alternatively, private training sessions can also be organized across Europe upon request
Contact and booking
In Puppet Practitioner, students will :
- learn why they should manage their Puppet infrastructure the right way
- learn multiple ways to accomplish tasks in Puppet and how to choose which is most appropriate for a given situation
- design and build modules, and extend modules from the Forge
- learn best practices for implementing Roles & Profiles in their infrastructure.
Target audience and prerequisites
The target audience for this Puppet Training include newer members at an organization already using Puppet, or experienced sysadmins wanting to bring Puppet into their team.
To complete the course successfully, attendees must have completed “Puppet Fundamentals” training or have equivalent hands-on experience with Puppet IT Automation software. Students should have a minimum of 1-2 years system admin experience, including in Linux/Unix environments.
- More advanced Puppet DSL constructs that can be used to write more elegant code.
- Using data structures to create resources programmatically.
- Using custom facts to expose information about nodes.
- The concepts of modularity and composability and how they refer to module design.
- Methods for testing your Puppet code and infrastructure.
- Using MCollective from the command line to automate infrastructure orchestration.
- Troubleshooting techniques and standard log files.
- The Roles & Profiles design pattern and the benefits it offers.
- Several different methods for managing portions of files.
- Why the Anchor Pattern exists and when one should use it or the `contain()` function.
- Creating generalizable modules and contributing them back to the community via the Puppet Forge.
- Sharing functionality between classes using inheritance.
This Advanced Puppet Training will mix theory and practice, balancing 50% lecture with 50% hands-on exercises.
- Public training in France or Switzerland: please contact us
- Private training: please contact us