GeoMapFish just released version 1.6 after several months of development. This major project release is the base of the future version 2.0. Some changes are not visible to the end user but they do help portal administrators to improve their project management. We have however not forgotten the users by adding new features, by improving ergonomics and by providing opportunities to the portal administrator to more easily customize the interface.
This blog presents the new features of version 1.6.
The new features are tagged by a * and are available on the demo portal (see below).
- Time slider at the layers level *
- Integration of MapFish Print v3 *
- Geo-location in desktop mode *
- Better management of permalinks which contain secured data. The display interface provides a window to identify yourselves to access these data *
- Validation of geometries in edition mode *
- Change of search results geometries colors *
- Dynamic MN03-MN95 conversion in the interface for the API and the query *
- Possibility to use a calendar instead of a slider for the choice of period for temporal layers *
- Reset of the user password upon request (if lost) *
- Drop-down list to access spacial shortcuts *
- Secured WMTS layers
- Editiing layers via the WFS-T standard
- Migration toward MapServer 7, invisible to the portal user: adds possibilities, such as dynamic heat maps, standard WFS 2.0 management and fusion mode between layers
- Migration towards PostGIS 2, invisible to the portal user: this new version brings new possibilities and simplify the management of the database
- PDF report per vectorial entity allowing to create map atlas (or portfolio) in which a maps is created per geometric entity
- Grouping of selections in a single tab (in a grid mode only)
And the inevitable bug fixes!
To connect, use the following login: demo/demo
Several instances of GeoMapFish have been implemented over the past few years. The latest are the ones for the Agglomération de Châtellerault and the Bâle-Ville Canton, together with the ones below:
- SITNyon (town of Nyon)
- SIGIP (GIS of the town of Pully)
- Town of Morges
- Bâle campagne Canton
- Bern Oberland region
- Bureau d’ingénieur Donatsch AG
- IBW Technik AG (geoAG portal)
GeoMapFish offers multiple interfaces and the main one allows to add layers sorted by topics (land registry, sanitation, environment, etc.). Each subject can be moved into the stack and its opacity modified. Conventionally, the layers can be activated or not and are sorted in groups of layers. Each layer has a legend at the layer tree and in the „Legend“ panel.
Various tools are used to interact with the map (zoom and move tools), measuring tools (length, area, angle), drawing tools, research (all layers can be searchable in Full Text Search mode). The application offers less common features such as integration of Google Earth, short permalink or profile calculation.
In terms of access, each layer can be either public or private, and thus invisible to all unidentified persons and having no visibility rights. A notion of restriction zone allows the administrator to restrict the visibility of a layer to an area for a user. The management of access rights also offers the concept of user group to group identical user rights.
Finally, the printing tool can print the map in different formats (PDF, PNG, for example), using templates prepared by the integrator.
GeoMapFish, it is also a specific edition interface, streamlined for users with access to at least one layer in the editing mode. The form for entering attribute data can be customized to support users in publishing (calendar display for date fields, display of drop-down list offering a list of possible values).
The mobile version, meanwhile, offers an even simpler interface to adapt to mobile application needs and constraints. It includes the management of topics and of some search functions.
The data configuration (themes, layer tree, users) is within an administration interface.
Finally, its installation method allows for generic features but also a finesse in the portal customization as well: specific features both on the client-side and on the server-side of configuration of advanced generic features. The industrialization of deployments has not been forgotten for easy and rapid deployment with the maximum assurance of having an identical configuration for each deployed instance.